Sunday, August 12, 2007

Does the truth really work?

Hey ya'll it has been an interesting week. Well not really but saying that it has sounds better...lol. Today I had the privilege of doing manual labor with my uncle which was cool, since I had been doing odd jobs to make money. In the mist of being out in the sun I begin to think about how I could have never been a slave. My aunts told me they would have just beaten me to death since I would’ve been considered lazy. During the conversation I thought about how I use to get beatings when I was younger. I stayed in trouble because I lied a lot. My parents use to say if I told them the truth I wouldn’t get a beating.(Yeah right) One time we were in the store, and I would steal butterscotch candy all the time and eat it as we grocery shop. My mother wouldn't allow me to have any sweets back then. I would pretend I was putting 5 cents in that little box on the Brach’s candy and I would get a hand full and stuff them in my pocket. Usually I would finish them before we got home. This particular time I got caught slipping. Those of you who know my dad already know what he said..."Joy (my nickname) if you tell me the truth I won't whip you"(even though the belt is already in his hand) in my mind, if you caught me with the candy in my mouth why are we having this discussion. Ok I will try this truth thing,” yes daddy I stole the candy" before I knew it the belt stings across my back (not buttocks but my BACK,wrong spot dad) what the hell, you tricked me we had an agreement. I guess they didn't want me to steal anymore so they both whip me in the same day. My mother took the time to pray before she use to whip me. I never understood why after you got a whipping you had to go take a bath. So I decided I was fed up with them and I was going to get them in trouble. Being that I have a light complexion, I figure I can get the marks from my whipping to stay on me until I got to school Monday. This way, I could show what I thought was child abuse to my teacher, and my parents would get in trouble. Not a good idea, not only did they not get in trouble but I got put on punishment. The moral of the story weigh your options before confessing the truth... (J/K always tell the truth ladies and gents)

2 comments:

ErynMyisha said...

okaaaay, i'mma need you to not get THE MAN called on your folks b/c your bad ass got caught stealing. *sigh* nigras...

HouseofHealing said...

now, you know what I'm going to say...don't you? why not try weighing the options before we get in troubllllleeeee....LOL...what can I say...Tia.Tia. Good writing !! Hope you're doing really well...