Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Keep Running...

As I writer I tend to believe I have a creative imagination. But even in my wildest thoughts I couldn’t have created the events that have taken place in my life over the past few months.

When I first determined to start on this journey of moving to Chicago and finishing my undergrad degree I didn’t expect for it to be easy. I figured I would attend school, work and deal with the simple daily issues of life. However, every since I moved here absolutely nothing has been simple about this experience. It started out smooth but around November 2007 things started to slowly get out of hand, people around me changed, some of them disappeared for reasons I will never know, I got jammed in a few very bad/bizarre situations, and for a second I was going to leave Chicago. Don’t get me wrong there have been some very positive and exciting things that have happen which is what keeps me here and the people that pick me up when I stumble.

Two crazy situations happen this week ( we are only on Wednesday) which really made want to give up and go home because, lately I just gotten tired of all the bullish and think “maybe this isn’t what I am suppose to be doing”. Then I start my usual conversation with myself. I asked myself “how bad do I really want to reach my goal”. I thought about all the people I knew personally or read about and how they KEEP RUNNING until they reached their finish line. Recently I learned about my new hero Melvin Van Peebles and his struggle in the 1970’s with Hollywood. My grandma and everything she went through to raise 12 children, C.V.W,my mother, my aunts,uncles, my dad, cousins, friends, and a host of other people’s triumphant stories.

Writing is my passion which I feel is my purpose and obtaining my degree is one of my goals. Today while walking in the rain feeling sorry for myself I reminded myself that you have to fight with every bone in your body for what you want. No matter how hard the punches of life are. Some will knock you down flat on your back, but just get up and KEEP RUNNING. It will never come easy. Although to the average person looking at my situation everything seems cool. But let me let you guys in on a little secret… This experience has been one of the hardest fights in my life on so many different levels.

If you have a goal or dream KEEP RUNNING until you reach the finish line. Don’t let anything stop you, even when you want to give up and you feel you have nothing left you KEEP RUNNING. I tell myself everyday “whatever it takes” meaning whatever it takes to reach my goal I will do. Trust God in everything you do cause without him you can’t do anything. Go after your goals never second guess yourself. I am getting a little tired but trust me I am going to KEEP RUNNING until I cross the finish line.

8 comments:

ErynMyisha said...

i'm glad you convinced yourself to stay. nothing handed to you easily is really worth having in the long run. and think about it, the more speedbumps you have on your path will give you more ammo for your writing.

Anonymous said...

Wow .....you are struggling now, but in the end its worth it..a lot of people in your situation would have given up...so i commend you for that...love you honey(ummm you need to start writing your acceptance speech lol)

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! We all have the potential for greatness in us,it is this tough times that will either focus you on the challenge or you give up the ghost...Like momma says,"You come from strong stock". With God you are always up to the challege...be assured I am talking to myself as well on this one. :-) Keep running till you cross over the finish line!
-mlb

Dat dude said...

Good stuff. You've gotta keep it moving.

You really have no choice.

Pan/Thanatos said...

It's great advise for someone with obstacles to their goal, but be careful.
If you keep running, that can become your life. You might lose track and not even realize you've over-ran the finish line... and are still running.

Anonymous said...

keep it pushing sister!!!!

Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T said...

great words of wisdom sister and nice blog u have here. im starting anew blog roll to add to my blog, of new african american bloggers. If u down, shoot me an email and say so, all i ask is that u add me to your roll as well. Want to put it up by tuesday.

--

Honey Devereaux said...

@ Erynmisha, I do pretty good at convincing myself of things...lol. I agree there has been plenty of material for my writing.

@ anonymous(1) I am working on my acceptance speech,thanks for the support.

@mlb, we definitely come from strong stock. None of them quit so I can't either.

@ dat dude, you are right I have no choice, the boats are burned.

@pan/thanatos, very good point. Thank you I never thought about it that way.

@torrance stephens, thanks and yes definitely add me to your blog roll and I will add you.