Friday, May 16, 2008

Dear Gentle Teddy Bear...


My most recent memory of you is at Grandma 90th b-day celebration singing ‘I Shall Wear a Crown.' As I watched you sing,I felt so much emotion in that song and I wasn’t sure why. I was suppose ride back to Dallas with you, but chose not to. Now I wish I would have taken that ride.

I have never known you to show any emotion other than humor, and just an undisturbed attitude. I always thought you were a remarkable father. I remember when I was younger I thought you were the strongest man ever, because you just look like you could fight anyone or anything... You would play arm wrestle with us, and let us think we really beat you. I use to think all the time….’ How did his voice get so deep?”

You always looked out for me when I needed you too. You even keep me posted about jobs. Recently, you sent me a nice text that made me smile. Last weekend I sent out a text and I forgot to include you on my list, saying that I loved everyone. Now I wonder if it would have made a difference.

I never knew you carried so much pain. We are family and really have no clue what is going with each other. That happens a lot in the black community. Hearing your last voicemail message to your pastor I can hear your pain. It really kills me that my strong uncle was hurting so bad in his last moments. You were always so funny to me, although we didn’t talk as much as I would have like, I do remember we had our good conversations.

Thank you for being there for my mother, sister, and me when we needed you. I believe God doesn’t make mistakes. He knew this was going to happen before we did, so he is prepared to bring us through it.

We are going to be there for the girls and Aunt Shelia. Devon, Eryn, Sidney, have an amazing support system already, but we have let them know that we are here for them. Your brothers and sisters miss you dearly and they are having a hard time but my cousins and I will be there to uplift our parents. Oddly, enough Grandma is the strongest right now. But you know that is because her and God are best friends. I hate you left us soon. I should have told you all this stuff before Mr. Sharp Shooter put his bullet in you.

I love you very much and rest in peace Uncle Kevin.

Love,
Ms. Devereaux,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.I pray that God and justice will prevail in these circumstances.

Dear Alle said...

I am praying for your family.

KnitFloozy said...

o baby girl.....I am praying for you right now....and your family as well...

Honey Devereaux said...

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

shelia said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost one of my aunts last week. The song "I Shall Wear a Crown" was sang at her funeral. That's a special song to me too.