Friday, May 16, 2008

Dear Mr. Sharp Shooter...

This Monday morning the news reported there was a 'standoff with a gunman involved' in a Grand Prairie, TX, apartment complex. Never in a million years would I have thought that it was my uncle the ‘gentle teddy bear’. I hear about police officers taking people lives all the time. This time it was different because, I received a call saying that the gunman on the news was my uncle, and he had your bullet in him.

I don’t think you realize what you have done to my family. When you took that shot on Monday morning around 7a.m. in those Grand Prairie apartment you killed a family. That was my Uncle Kevin. He was a father of three fantastic girls who adored him. He was the baby brother to 10 other individuals who are suffering tremendously. He was the uncle to many nieces and nephews. He was a husband for 25 years. He was the friend of many who loved him dearly. He was a bone marrow donor. He was the youngest child of my 90 year old grandmother, who just looked him in his face the day before.

Mr. Sharp Shooter, I don’t know complete details that led you to his apartment that morning, but I do know you weren’t suppose to take his life. You painted a picture as though he came out shooting, and to avoid anyone from being harm you put your bullet in him. You LIED! I listen to the voice mail over and over that was played on the news by his pastor were he is begging for help. In the middle of his sentence a glass breaks and it is your bullet headed towards his body.

You took the life of a gentle, kind, caring, thoughtful, loving, funny, calm natured, selfless, strong, GREAT man! He would never hurt a fly. In fact he is known as a ‘peacemaker’. I was just with him in March; I would have never thought that your bullet would take him away from us. My cousins are left without the man they loved most. I believe you didn’t know what you are doing when you pulled that trigger, so I am working on forgiving you. However, I don’t believe he came out shooting at you. See that is not the man that I just described. If you were aware of his illness I can’t help but wonder why you didn’t handle the situation differently. I will forever believe it could have gone differently, but I will try to remember the God doesn’t make mistakes.

Mr. Sharp Shooter, I can't wrap my mind around what you did. I hope you never experience the pain we feel. We will never understand why you took my uncle's life while he was crying out for help.

Sincerely,
His lovely Niece

Continue reading below...

8 comments:

Don said...

touching.

sorry to hear about the death of your family member. i want to ask what happened but i read where you don't know the complete details. i will google it.

my condolences.

Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T said...

damn, that is so sad and he sounds like a wonderful father, loving husband and super uncle

Anonymous said...

My condolenses to you and your family. Times are truly sad nowadays. My prayers are with you. Stay strong

Anonymous said...

Wow honey stay strong in the lord and remeber that god doesnt make mistakes....love ya

Honey Devereaux said...

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

ThecomebackGirl said...

I am really sorry to hear about this Ms. Dev. I will keep your family in my prayers.

The comebackgirl said...

Ms Dev check your hotmail

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!