Monday, June 16, 2008

Daddy Dearest...


Happy Father's Day to all the dads and especially the single fathers. There have been a few men that have played father figure roles during different periods of my life and I love them all. But I want to tell you all a little bit about my dad.

You know my dad is a pretty cool dude. He is 6'5, still wears a curl in 2008,and 65yrs old, so you can't help but see him. I appreciate my dad more now than I did when I was younger for his advice, time, and energy he puts into me. We are identical twins according to some people. All my life I heard "guurrrlll you look just like your daddy." There were times when my mother and friends would say they I sound like my dad because I say some of the same things he would. Many women aren't privilege enough to have their fathers around, but I do and I love that guy. Things haven’t always been great with us, but when you can forgive a person, its amazing the relationships that can blossom.

I haven't always been around my dad, but I can honestly say he has always done his best to be there for me. From kindergarten to 8th grade my father picked me up from school everyday despite my parents being divorced. He has always told me I was brilliant,sneaky,pretty,and his 'big baby girl.' He picked me up and I would be with him until my mother got off work. Growing up he had all the guys in the neighborhood scared but they respected him. All my life my dad has tried to prepare my sister and me for life. He taught me lessons that didn't necessarily apply until later on in life. He always taught me about understanding people, being ‘street smart’, and the importance of education. He is not only there for me, but also for my friends. He takes his time to talk to them as though they were his children.

One thing I can say about my dad is that he is always right, and that drives me crazy! Almost everyone I know has met my father at some point in my life. I could go on and on about my father, simply because he is a good father. It never occurred to me how blessed I am to still have my dad until a few people I know have lost their dads. One thing I can count on is that my dad will call me everyday at least twice a day. Although I can't stand when he ask me a lot of questions, I understand that it is only because he cares and wants the best for me. It drives him crazy for me to be so far away but he trust God and knows that I will be fine.

I love my dad, and thank God for still allowing him to be around. If you still have your father around take time to talk to him, even if he hasn’t always been the best dad. Let the past go and try to build a future with him. It makes a difference in your life when you have your father. You never know how long he will be around. Happy Father's Day Daddy.

Until next time on 'The Journey of Ms. Devereaux'

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job honey......

Rum Punch said...

Aren't daddies the bestest? Good post!

devon said...

right on!! i would say, regardless of anything that your father does, love him. in spite of himself, love him. you never know when he won't be around anymore. if you love him and love him hard, that love will get you through. trust me, i know!

Anonymous said...

Well done, my dear! And yes, you are your father's child in so many ways. He's a pretty wise guy.
-mlb

KD said...

Hey there lady-
Fabulous! None of us are perfect; it is refreshing to "read" the growth in you - being able to reflect, understand and most of all appreciate all he has tried and done for you. I love to hear people speak of their parents with love, respect and adoration - unfortunately a dying emotion. Congratulation girl on having such a powerfully positive role-model.

KD

Xillionaire said...

i hope my daughter writes something half as wonderful as this for me...